Learning how to cook rice properly can be a struggle. It’s why so many people opt for plastic-wrapped, microwavable options over trying to make it themselves. But what if we told you the only thing you need to make perfectly fluffy rice is a reusable Stasher bag?
First, we learned you can make popcorn in a Stasher bag. Now, we’ve discovered you can cook rice the same way. After adding rice, water, and a little butter or oil to your reusable bag, you seal it, leaving a small hole in the center. After 10 to 15 minutes, you’ll be left with a bag of rice that’s like store-bought instant rice, but better.
This method of cooking rice isn’t just easy, allowing you to get the perfect level of fluffiness every time—it’s also less wasteful and more affordable. Learning how to cook rice at home allows you to use grains from the bulk bins, which tends to be more inexpensive. Going the DIY route also allows you to skip the instant rice packaging.
And the best part? If you don’t finish all the rice, the reusable bag is made for leftovers. Just close it and pop it in the fridge until your next meal. Here’s how to cook rice in a Stasher bag, step by step.
How to Cook Rice in a Stasher Bag
What You Need:
1/2 cup rice
1 1/4 cup water
1-2 tsp oil or butter
Stand-Up Mid Stasher Bag
1. Add 1 and 1/4 cup of water and 1 to 2 tsp of oil or butter to your Stasher Bag.
2. Rinse 1/2 cup of rice. (Feel free to save that rice water for your plants later! Or, use it on your hair.)
3. Add ingredients to the bag and seal while leaving a small hole in the middle.
4. Microwave for 10 to 15 minutes. Let it cool for a couple minutes.
5. Enjoy your new fluffy instant rice!
Hey there! Want to help us change the world every day through easy, achievable, eco-friendly tips and tricks? Sign up for the Brightly Spot and join our movement of over a million changemakers.