We buy a lot of tortillas in my house. Each plastic package only contains around eight tortillas, and when your household eats at least two a day—more on taco nights!—that waste adds up quickly. So learning it’s possible to make homemade oat tortillas with two simple ingredients is a total gamechanger.
Oats are still a supermarket allstar, with oat milk brands flying off the shelves. But conscious consumers forget you can use the fiber-packed grain for far more than homemade oat milk, cookies, and oatmeal. Just ask Carleigh Bodrug, the New York Times bestselling cookbook author behind PlantYou, whose oat tortillas recipe already has more than three million views on TikTok.
“Did you know when you blend two cups oats and 1 to 1.5 cups water, you make the perfect gluten-free tortilla batter?” she writes. “You can even add salt and nutritional yeast for a more savory wrap.”
Aside from limiting waste, these vegan and gluten-free tortillas are incredibly easy to make. You’ll have a delicious base for your work lunches and can top them with whatever your heart desires.
“You’ll have the perfect gluten-free tortillas that work for sweet or savory wraps,” Bodrug says. “I topped mine with crushed avocado, tomato, sweet n sour tofu, and hoisin sauce—so good.”
Want to learn how to make your own oat tortillas? Follow along with Bodrug’s simple instructions below.
How to Make Oat Tortillas
2 cups oats
1-1.5 cups water
1. Combine oats and water and soak for one hour.
2. After the hour is up, blend the mixture until smooth.
3. Heat up a pan over medium heat.
4. Add the batter about 1/4 cup at a time in a pan, like you’re making pancakes.
5. Flip when bubbly, allowing the other side to cook.
6. After both sides are cooked, remove from heat. You can eat your tortillas right away, or store them in an airtight container for later.
Hey there! Want to help us change the world every day through easy, achievable, eco-friendly tips and tricks? Sign up for the Brightly Spot and join our movement of over a million changemakers.