Love wine just as much as you love the planet? Yeah, us too. That means you’ve probably been saving (aka hoarding) a whole bunch of leftover wine corks, just waiting for the perfect opportunity to upcycle them into something cute and planet-friendly.
Well, that opportunity has finally arrived. Amber of Sustainably Amber has served up a genius space-saving DIY project. In this video, she goes through everything you’ll need to create a beautiful set of repurposed wall hooks: some wink corks, a few screws, and a small piece of wood.
While she uses her wine cork wall hooks for hanging shoes, the finished product is very versatile. The hooks could be used to hang accessories like purses, jewelry, or a variety of other items that need a home other the black hole that is your dresser drawer.
Continue reading below for step-by-step instructions on how to make this set of wine cork wall hooks in just a few minutes. (In fact, you’ll probably be able to do it in the same amount of time it’d take you to finish a glass of wine.)
How to Make Wine Cork Wall Hooks
1. To start, grab a strip of wood. It should be about 1 to 2 inches wide and about half an inch thick (so that you can easily screw through it). The length can vary depending on how long or short you’d like your set of hooks to be.
2. Measure out six spots for your hooks with an even amount of space in between. We recommend leaving about four inches of space between each hook, but you can certainly adjust based on your preference.
3. From the back side of your wood plank, insert a screw into each of the six marks you made. Screw all the way in until the screw is poking out the other side.
4. Now for the fun part: adding the corks. Choose your six favorite corks from your collection (or if you need help starting a collection, might we suggest trying out a wine from ONEHOPE), and twist the corks onto each of the protruding screws.
5. Once all of your corks are added, simply mount your new set of hooks to the wall by placing a screw between the first and second hooks and between the fifth and six hooks. Add some shoes, jewelry, or bags, and enjoy your upcycled masterpiece.
Hey there! Want to help us change the world every day through easy, achievable, eco-friendly tips and tricks? Sign up for the Brightly Spot and join our movement of over a million changemakers.