Why buy store-bought goodies for your pup when you can make your own? This peanut butter dog treats recipe is easy to make, and you likely already have everything you need in your cabinets.
With ingredients like pumpkin and coconut flour, this delicious recipe from Thrive Market packs a healthy punch. Pumpkin provides vitamins A and C, while also supporting your pup’s immune system and vision. Meanwhile, coconut flour is an excellent source of protein and iron. It’s also gluten-free, which is key since gluten can sometimes be problematic for dogs.
Now that you know this recipe is easy and healthy, it’s time to make your good boy the yummy snack he deserves. But, of course, always check with your vet to make sure these ingredients are a good fit for your pup in particular—especially if they’re on a special diet.
Peanut Butter Dog Treats Recipe
2 cups coconut flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 dollop canned pumpkin
1 cup hot water
Mix together, adding more flour if needed to get a firm dough.
1. Start by mixing together the coconut flour, rolled oats, peanut butter, canned pumpkin, and hot water.
2. Once your mixture has formed a dough, remove it from the bowl to start kneading. You’ll want to knead it until it’s about 1/3-inch thick.
3. Now it’s time to get out your cookie cutter. Don’t worry: If you’re not the proud owner of a dog bone-shaped cookie cutter (or any cookie cutter, for that matter), you can simply roll the dough into small balls.
4. To bake, grease a cookie sheet and arrange the treats, leaving a bit of space between each one.
5. To finish things off, bake for 40 minutes at 350°F. Let cool completely before sharing with your pup.
How to Store Your Dog Treats
So, you don’t want to reward your pup with all the new goodies at once? No problem. The treats can be stored in the fridge for up to three weeks or in the freezer for up to six weeks. We recommend keeping them in an eco-friendly container, such as a silicone Stasher bag. Your pup and the planet will thank you!