So many rolls of wrapping paper are wasted every year. 2.3 million pounds, to be exact, with the greatest losses occurring over the holidays. Luckily, you can drastically reduce paper waste this season by upcycling something you likely already have on hand: paper grocery bags.
No one is perfect, and we all occasionally forget our reusable tote bags at home. If you have too many items to go bagless, opting for recyclable paper bags over plastic bags is the next best move for a low-waste grocery shopping trip. But instead of putting them straight into the recycling bin, steal this eco-friendly paper bag wrapping paper hack.
In a recent video that’s gone viral with more than 1.3 million views, TikTok user Ave of @greenybeany420 shared her step-by-step instructions on how to disassemble a paper grocery bag and turn it into fuss-free wrapping paper in seconds.
“It’s the best thing ever,” she says. “I save up paper bags all year long, just for Christmas—then we never have to buy wrapping paper.
Here’s how it works. After removing the handles, you cut out the bottom section of the bag. (Save it for smaller gifts!) Then, find the seam and cut down the middle. Now you have a long sheet of wrapping paper and can use either side, showing off your Trader Joe’s obsession or adding festive touches to the blank side (like drawings or stamps).
If you want to ditch typical wrapping paper this year for something more eco-friendly, follow the step-by-step instructions below.
Paper Bag Wrapping Paper
What you’ll need:
Paper grocery bags
Colored pencils or stamps (optional)
1. Remove the handles and set them aside.
2. Expand the paper bag and cut out the bottom section. Set it aside and save it for smaller gifts.
3. Find the seam and cut down the middle, creating one long sheet of wrapping paper.
4. Use either side of the wrapping paper. You can show off the grocery store logo, or add festive touches to the blank side with colored pencils or stamps.
5. Write who the gift is for right on the paper—no gift tags needed. Or, use part of the handle to create a gift tag.
6. Set your pretty gift under the tree and enjoy!
Hey there! Want to help us change the world every day through easy, achievable, eco-friendly tips and tricks? Sign up for the Brightly Spot and join our movement of over a million changemakers.