Brightly uses social commerce, community, and content to ignite change. Our platform inspires action via ethical lifestyle content, features thousands of sustainable products from ethical brands and connects over 1.2M eco-conscious consumers to one another every single day. We’re a discovery and community destination that reaches across web, mobile (we have iOS and Android apps in public beta) and social channels.
We’re searching for an perfect planet champion to help scale our engineering team. We’re a leading voice in the sustainability and eco-conscious space. Our podcast, Good Together, has been recognized as Apple’s #1 pick for conscious consumers… 3 times in a row. Come help us reach our goal of over a million Brightly conscious consumers by the end of the year and work on award-winning community experiences that inspire people to create change, every day.
About Our Team
Brightly was founded by two co-founders: Laura Wittig (our CEO) with a background in Product Ownership at places like Google, Adobe & Sephora and Liza Moiseeva (our CMO) a former founder of subscription and discovery products like GlobeIn.
Our team is globally distributed so you should be comfortable with working actively with folks abroad and / or in different timezones, though we are technically headquartered in Seattle, WA!
About The Role
- You will be responsible for building and owning a cross-platform mobile app —one of the most critical product initiatives at the company
- You will collaborate directly with the product & engineering team to marry our mobile app with the rest of our web-based product infrastructure.
- You will work with our product designer to define the mobile app design system, working with a user-first mentality. We have thousands of daily active users we can freely tap for feedback.
- You will have a direct hand in developing the DNA of our company’s culture. We care deeply about creating a thoughtful, collaborative, and inclusive environment.
- Mobile app: React Native is likely, but you should help us decide!
- Web app Frontend: Typescript, Functional React, styled-components for CSS
- Backend: Typescript, Node.js
- Hosting: Heroku and AWS, Similarly will lean on you to decide
What We’re Looking For
- Meaningful Mobile Experience: Ideally 2+ years of professional experience working on mobile applications – either native or cross-platform. If your experience is primarily in native development, you will likely need to be able to learn a cross-platform framework down the road, internalize its best practices, and institute those best practices in the context of a rapidly growing team and product.
- Peer mentorship: When you have expertise in a domain, you value sharing your experience with your teammates to help them become more productive. When others have experience in a domain, you are eager to learn from them.
- Self-directed: We are a highly collaborative team that loves congregating at the whiteboard (or more recently on Zoom), but it’s critical that you are able to dive into a complex system and be productive with limited guidance.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You understand and prioritize the business impact of what you’re building, and aim to reduce scope where appropriate.
- Easy to disagree with: Smart people disagree all the time. When you disagree with your teammate, you view it as an opportunity to have your mind changed and grow. These conversations are one of the best parts about working on our team.
- Bonus: you have understanding and experience working with Start Ups with both localized and remote teams, but namely the fast pivoting nature and importance of stakeholders vision.
As a Full Stack Web/Mobile Developer you will be responsible for developing the entirety of our mobile app and must be familiar with modern API driven applications.
We are looking for someone who is able to autonomously develop and implement a mobile app for both iOS and Android with features including, but not limited to, SPA (Single Page Applications), news feed + comment architecture, shopify integration, audio/video/photo text communication built from scratch or on a third-party platform like SendBird, in-app notifications, social platform like structures
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job.
- Ability to work autonomously and collaborate seamlessly as part of a team.
- 2-5 years of experience developing iOS/Android mobile applications.
- A portfolio of code and/or apps to reviews
- Ability to think critically and solve problems with well thought-out solutions.
- Proven experience leading development and/or project teams.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong learning agility – passion and curiosity for code! You continuously learn about the latest developments in technology, with a view to if/how they could be applied to improve our customer experience.
- Experience with collaborating across multiple functional/technical teams to deliver a project.
- Strong understanding of Object-Oriented design patterns and best practices, Mobile Security/Performance, SaaS, REST. An understanding of Cloud Architecture will be helpful.
- Knowledge of UX and UI.
- Understanding of Agile methodologies.
The position is remote. All candidates should be based in North America and willing to work Pacific Standard Time hours. Brightly is headquartered in Seattle, WA.