New types of nut butters are always popping up on store shelves, ranging from hazelnut butter to macadamia butter to cashew butter. But the secret to scoring the most high-quality and affordable option is typically learning how to make nut butter yourself.
Just like you can make your own plant-based milks at home, it’s really easy to make nut butter, too. Use the quickie recipe below to make your own batch, no matter which type of nut you have on hand. Then check out five creative ways to use your homemade nut butter that are way more exciting than spreading it on a piece of toast.
How to Make Nut Butter
Your choice of nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, and more; can be blanched or not)
1. Preheat the oven to 350℉.
2. Place nuts on a baking sheet and toast them for around 10 minutes.
3. Add to a blender or food processor and blend until creamy.
5. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. It should stay fresh for 3 weeks or longer.
5 Tasty Ways to Use Nut Butter
1. Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
Dark chocolate chips
1. Melt 3/4 of your chocolate in the microwave, stirring every minute (or until smooth).
2. Line a cupcake pan with silicone cupcake liners.
3. Add a few spoonfuls of chocolate to each liner to cover the bottom and sides.
4. Place in the fridge to set.
5. Remove from the fridge and add your nut butter.
6. Cover with your remaining melted chocolate.
7. Place in the fridge one last time to set.
2. Cinnamon Apple Dip
1. Add your nut butter to a bowl.
2. Stir in some cinnamon.
3. Cut your apples into slices.
3. Dip and enjoy!
3. Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
Cocoa or cacao powder
Maple or agave syrup
1. Combine all the ingredients into a food processor or blender.
2. Blend until smooth.
3. Use it as a spread, dip, and more.
4. Peanut Sauce
Cayenne pepper or Sriracha
Minced garlic (optional)
Ground ginger (optional)
1. Put the ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth, adding a little bit of water until it’s at your desired consistency.
2. Once your desired thickness is achieved, add to a container.
3. Use it with noodles and your protein of choice. Or, enjoy it as a dipping sauce for spring rolls.
5. Nut Butter Cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 350℉.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
3. Line the baking sheet and place spoonfuls of the cookie dough two inches apart.
4. Stamp them with a fork and place them in the oven for about 10 minutes.
5. Let cool, and enjoy!
Other Nut Butter Add-Ins
Want to give basic homemade nut butter even more of an upgrade? Add in some of these ingredients for a different texture and flavor.
- Brown sugar
- Sea salt
- Coconut flakes
- Pumpkin seeds (or other seeds)
- A combination of nuts
- Date syrup
- Orange blossom
- Lemon zest
- Melted chocolate
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
Hey there! Want to help us change the world every day through easy, achievable, eco-friendly tips and tricks? Sign up for the Brightly Spot and join our movement of over a million changemakers.