If you think you’ve used up all the celery you can by the time you reach the bottom of the stalk, think again. Instead of throwing it out, save the base and use it to regrow celery right in your windowsill. Talk about repurposing.
Videos on how to regrow celery have been going viral on Instagram and TikTok. The reason for that is simple: It’s incredibly easy and requires nothing but water, a cup, and a bit of patience. In a past video, Jessie Jacobson of @growwithjessie explained how to go about it in five simple steps.
Ready to learn how to regrow celery for yourself? Here’s everything you need to know, straight from a pro.
How to Regrow Celery in 5 Simple Steps
1. Jacobson says to start by cutting the bottom of your celery to reveal the core. The base should be 2 to 3 inches tall.
2. Fill a container with water—any cup or mug will do. Fill it halfway with water so it doesn’t overflow when you put the celery inside.
3. Place your celery base in the water. Be sure the larger part showing the core is at the top.
4. Next, Jacobson recommends placing the celery in a windowsill or anywhere it can get a good amount of sunlight during the day.
5. Now it’s time to wait for growth. First, you’ll see a small bud shooting out of the center of the base. Then, in a matter of days, the slender stalks will start popping out. See? Gardening can be easy and fun.
Hey there! Want to help us change the world every day through easy, achievable, eco-friendly tips and tricks? Sign up for the Brightly Spot and join our movement of over a million changemakers.