TikTok is turning all of us into at-home baristas. First, we learned how to make a frothy matcha latte. Now, the cookie butter latte is going viral—a drink that evidently tastes exactly like Trader Joe’s beloved product of the same name. So, it’s probably a good idea to try that out, too. For research, of course.
Here’s a little backstory: It all started when Nina Estrada, a Starbucks barista, posted a TikTok about how to order a cookie butter latte. It’s pretty simple compared to most viral drink orders: “It’s an iced chai with brown sugar syrup and oat milk,” she says. “And when I tell you it tastes just like Trader Joe’s cookie butter, I mean it.”
##stitch with @nina.estrada 🚌’n♬ Lofi – Domknowz
It wasn’t long before Lizzo took note and ordered the drink for herself, and—just like with nature’s cereal—her reaction to tasting it for the first time was enough to send thousands of people to the coffee chain to order it themselves. Lucky for you, there’s no need to go to Starbucks. You can make this cookie butter latte recipe right at home with minimal ingredients.
Cookie Butter Latte
Chai tea latte concentrate
1. First, make your brown sugar syrup mixture. Heat up 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup water on the stove until the sugar dissolves. You’ll only need a couple tablespoons. Store the rest in an airtight container, like a mason jar, at room temperature.
2. Fill your glass with ice.
3. Fill your glass to the halfway mark with chai tea latte concentrate. You can find the product at most stores or online.
4. Add in a couple tablespoons of your brown sugar syrup mixture, depending on the level of sweetness you want.
5. Fill the rest of your glass with oat milk.
6. Stir, sip, and enjoy!