When it comes to finding new planet-friendly recipes, TikTok never disappoints. Case in point: This broccoli fritter recipe, which uses the leftover stems to make a delightfully crispy and healthy low-waste snack.
Carleigh Bodrug, the recipe developer behind @plantyou, is always sharing plant-based recipes and practical kitchen hacks. This broccoli fritter recipe in particular is part of her Scrappy Cooking series, where she takes common food scraps and turn them into healthy recipes to save money and reduce food waste.
“Not only are broccoli stems delicious, but they’re also just as nutritious as the florets, packed with vitamin C, calcium, and iron,” says Bodrug. “They’re amazing chopped up in stir-fries, pesto, and in these crispy broccoli stem fritters.”
Sounds yummy, doesn’t it? Continue reading for a step-by-step guide on how to turn your leftover stems into mouth-watering broccoli fritters that are sure to impress.
Crispy Broccoli Fritters
4-5 broccoli stalks
2 1/2 cups grated potato
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
5 Tbsp almond milk
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried parsley
3 Tbsp flour
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. To make the “egg,” combine the ground flaxseed and almond milk together and set it aside for at least 15 minutes.
3. Chop your broccoli stalks and add them into a food processor. Pulse the stalks until they’re grated finely.
4. Add the rest of your ingredients along with the grated stalks and flaxseed egg. Mix until combined.
5. Using your hands or a cookie scoop, make approximately nine patties that are about the size of a cookie. Place on your baking sheet.
6. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, and enjoy!
Hey there! Want to help us change the world every day through easy, achievable, eco-friendly tips and tricks? Sign up for the Brightly Spot and join our movement of over a million changemakers.