With so many new companies emerging in the sustainable skincare space, it can be difficult to know which products to try first. Well, if you ask our Scouts, there’s one brand in particular that should definitely be on your radar: 100% Pure.
If you’re looking for makeup and skincare options that are just as good for your skin as they are for the planet, keep reading. Our community members tried 100% Pure’s products for themselves, and it’s safe to say they were in love with the biodegradable makeup and skincare formulas.
Want to save on your first order? Use the code “BRIGHTPURE35” for a discount!
What Is 100% Pure?
100% Pure sources its skincare routine staples and highly-pigmented cosmetics from fruit, vegetables, tea, and cocoa. This helps them avoid the commonly-used FD&C colorants and heavy metal dyes found in typical cosmetic products. The ingredients are also entirely biodegradable, and each goes through a rigorous process to ensure it’s cruelty-free and never animal-sourced.
On top of all of this, their headquarters and manufacturing centers are equipped with solar-powered roofs that produce roughly 235,000 kilowatt-hours per year, which saves about 170 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year. For each purchase, you also can choose where your donation goes. The brand will donate one bowl of vegan dog food to shelter dogs in China, or the cost of one tree to the organization Trees for the Future.
Here’s what our Scouts thought when they gave 100% Pure’s products a try. (Spoiler alert—they were huge fans!)
What Our Scouts Thought:
- “The Fruit Pigmented Eyeshadow works just as well as any other eyeshadow I’ve used, but it’s better for your skin and the environment. It stayed on all day and has a nice sparkle to it when light hits it. I absolutely love it! This makeup definitely requires more of an investment than more mainstream brands, but your skin and the environment are definitely worth it.” —Kayla Siedlecki
- “I liked how smooth and creamy the lipstick felt during application. The color was beautiful and gave me a natural looking lip.” —Mia McCallum
- “I like that this is designed for dual purpose, as it can be used as a tint for both my lips and cheeks. There’s a subtle fruit smell to it, which I love. The product is buildable so that it can be more natural on my cheeks, but still give me a bolder lip with a slight glossy finish. I also loved reading about their In-Store Recycling Program on their blog.” —Danielle Schroeder
- “The first thing I noticed when I opened it was that it smells delicious and goes on smoothly. My favorite part is that it comes off easily with soap and water—no chemicals needed.” —Hannah B.
- “I love how the product is certified vegan and cruelty-free. I also love the fact that it’s fruit pigmented. In my opinion, the more natural a product can be, the better. The website was super helpful when picking a product, too. It explained the difference between pigments, coverage, and finish, which was great for someone who doesn’t know a ton about makeup products.” —Grace Campbell
Things to Work On
As with any product, there are always areas that may need a little extra care (and improvement). Our Scouts noted that 100% Pure could enhance its sustainable shipping approach and overall product packaging.
What Our Scouts Thought:
- “I disliked that there was plastic wrapping around the tube of mascara and that it was shipped in a plastic padded envelope. I feel they could’ve used a padded paper envelope for a more sustainable shipping approach.” —Kaitlyn Zavesky
- “The actual package of the product I believe is plastic. I would love to see which specific actions they’re taking in the sustainability space shown more prominently on their website.” —Danielle Schroeder
- “I was expecting the packaging to be a bit more eco-friendly. It came in a plastic poly mailer and my product was sealed in some extra mixed plastic coating. They did use a small compostable box within the packaging.” —Grace Campbell
(Disclaimer: We did not pay any of our Scouts to review these products, but they did receive the products for free. Join our Scouts program if you want the chance to participate in the next product drop!)
Hey there! Want to help us change the world every day through easy, achievable, eco-friendly tips and tricks? Sign up for the Brightly Spot and join our movement of over a million changemakers.